This was a dish that I had wanted to do for a long time but never had the patience to chop up all the vegetables. Such a tedious chore.
However, after my near death experience this morning, walking to a local school to cast my vote for Election day, well, I decided that I just have to make this dish when I got home.
Bloody Hoons with their doof doof speakers out loud...they tried to run me over!!!
- 300 g cauliflower, cut into flowerets
- 300 g cabbage, cut into small square pieces
- 250 g roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 medium sized cucumbers, discard the soft centres
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 200 g long beans
- 500 ml vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml water
- 100 g dried shallots
- 500 g shallots
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 120 g dried prawns
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp chili paste or ground chili
- 6 tbsp oil
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp salt over cucumber and carrot strips and leave to stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain.
- In a Dutch Oven, bring the ingredients A to the boil. Add in the vegetables, one type at a time and boil for 1 to 2 mins. Scoop out with a sieve, drain and spread on a large tray to cool. Repeat for each type of vegetable.
- Heat ½ cup oil, fry ingredients B till fragrant and dish out.
- With a clean wok, fry ingredients C, until the oil turns red. Remove and set aside.
- Combine everything together in a large bowl. Stir well. Lastly, add the ground peanuts and sesame seeds. Leave it to cool overnight before storing in bottles or serving.