Hot Cross Buns.
Using a Breadmaker Can be amended to be done by hand, just requires kneading by hand and time.
60g brown sugar
1tsp mixed spice
520g plain flour
2 ½ tsp dry yeast
1 cup sultanas
1 tbsp plain flour, extra Crosses 80g plain flour
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp gelatine
1. Place all dough ingredients (except sultanas and extra flour) into bread pan in the order listed. Place pan into bread machine. Select dough cycle.
2. Toss sultanas in extra flour; place half in breadmaker 15 minutes after cycle has started (some breadmakers will have a 15 minute timer). Add remaining sultanas 5 minutes afterwards.
3. Preheat oven to 200°c. Lightly grease a large baking tray.
4. Once cycle has finished; remove dough form breadmaker onto a lightly floured bench top. Lightly knead then divide dough into 16 balls.
5. Place balls close together onto tray; cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Combine flour, water and sugar to make paste for crosses. Place paste in a piping bag and pipe crosses onto each bun.
7. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
8. Meanwhile, combine water, sugar and gelatine in a microwave jug and heat on Medium for 1-2 minutes or until warm and gelatine has dissolved. Brush over hot buns.