Happy New Year all, celebrating the new year with a home made ice cream recipe. If you like green tea, you'll want to bookmark this simple recipe.
For those of who do not know what a Matcha is, it's powdered green tea leaves that has been dried and processed to powder form. It is more concentrated than Sencha. Sencha is just green tea in its normal form, you add it to hot water and drink it like hot tea.
With Matcha, you can drink it, cook it, bake it, it's very user friendly and there are so many recipes on the Internet that you can try and have fun with if you have some Matcha.
After just returning from Japan, more than anything, I am craving Matcha ice cream. It's terrible having to leave that place. I am already planning my next trip but it won't be for some time yet so for today, I am hoping to replicate that wonderful Japanese ice cream.
Recipe below is for 2-4 people or in my case, one :) Alright, I'll share, if I really have to..
• 2 Tbsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
• 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
• 3 Egg Yolks
• 3/4 cup Milk
• 3/4 cup Double Cream
- A = Mix 2 Tbsp of sugar with the Matcha powder
- B = Mix remainder sugar with yolks
- Heat milk (do not let boil)
- Remove from heat, add A+B to warm milk, mix well till smooth paste.
- Return to heat, ( do not let boil) mix well to keep smooth
- Remove from heat, strain mix and leave to cool in fridge
- Start whipping cream for folding to Matcha mix.
- Fold whipped cream to Matcha mix when the mix is cold enough.
- Put in your chilled ice cream bowl container and leave in freezer. No need to churn with ice cream maker.
Here are some photos from some of the steps.
There you have it, you chill it in the freezer for few hours and voila! Your very own Matcha ice cream ;) I'm going to serve mine in a Japanese bowl with some azuki (red beans). Oishi!