Gingerbread Men and Xmas cookies
- 150g Western Star unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup golden syrup - I used molasses instead of golden syrup!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Writing fudge and rainbow chocolate chips, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two large oven trays.
- Place butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- Set aside to cool.
- Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking powder over butter mixture. Add the egg and stir until combined. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Divide dough into two portions. Shape each portion into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Roll one portion between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Using 6-7cm pastry cutters, cut shapes from dough, re-rolling scraps. Place on the lined trays, 3cm apart to allow for spreading. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in the oven, 1 tray at a time, until just firm to touch.
- Remove and set aside for 5 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate using writing fudge and chocolate chips.
|This one is sitting on my mantlepiece ;) Hands off Santa!!!|