A lot of Asian ladies eat this dish just after childbirth, but I think that one does not have to be in a confinement period to enjoy this lovely simple dish.
I cook this whenever I am feeling unwell. Today, we are having this for dinner as I find the aromatic smell of the ginger frying and the sesame oil soothing to my senses. I believed that the ginger also helps with my nausea. Plus that I am starving after being sick.....and this simple dish is so good for you during the winter months, it warms up your body.
2 chicken breast or chicken portions with bones in.
Dark soy sauce
1 tsp of sugar
Chinese wine similar to sherry (optional)
- Peel shallots and sliced them
- Peel ginger to julienne ginger, these are for toppings
- Fry ginger till crisp, put aside the crunchy ginger toppings
- Put aside some sliced ginger for frying with chicken later
- Heat up wok
- Fry onions and ginger together
- Put in and fry chicken pieces till brown
- Add sherry or chinese wine
- Add dark soy sauce
- Add sugar, stir everything to mix well, add a litter water if too dry
- Pour in generous amout of sesame oil.
- Allow to chicken to cook in the sesame ginger mixture
- Serve up and put crunchy ginger crisp toppings on top.